"The art of teaching is the art of assisting discovery"
— Mark Van Dorena
Kumihmo (Japanese Braiding) Info
Kumihimo History and Info
Make your own: Tama (bobbins) |
Marudai (braiding stand) |
Paper Braiding Disk
Recommended Books |
Patterns: Flat Braids |
Online Resources |
Pinterest Links |
Prep for Online Class
- Kumihimo — History, brief
how-to, Bibliography, and Webography (PDF)
Flat braid — 8 strand on handheld disk (Hira Kara Gumi)
Round braid — 8 strand on handheld disk (Maru Yatsu Kumi)
Make Your Own Kumihimo Equipment
Homemade Kumihimo Kit (disk, bobbins, etc.)
Homemade Tama (bobbins)
Homemade Marudai (braiding stand)
My Amazon bookshop of my favorite kumihimo books. Some of which are:
Book Recommendations for Kumihimo
- Beginner's Guide to Braiding: The craft of Kumihimo by Jacqui Carey
This is a great beginner's book for kumihimo braiding on the maurdai. She provides
illustrations and clear explanations of every step.
- Braids: 250 Patterns from Japan, Peru & Beyond by Rodrick Owen
EVERYTHING you want to know about kumihimo on the marudai and handheld cards! Includes
history, info for making your own marudai and cards, and MUCH more.
- Beads and Braids by Jacqui Carey
If you want to add beads to you kumihimo, this book is the one for you! There doesn't seems
to be a method of attaching beads that she's missed!
- Making Kumihimo: Japanese Interlaced Braids by Rodrick Owen
Kumihimo on the takadai!
My Pinterest Links
My Kumihimo Kits (for sale)
Kumihimo Kits: Flat, Round, & Square Kits
Each kit includes all you need, and is ready for you to start creating a kumihimo braid:
- Complete instructions
- Braiding disk (foam)
- Bobbins (plastic snap shut bobbins)
- Thread pre-strung on bobbins & disk
- Skill Levels: Beginner
- Square: This is a very simple braiding pattern.
- Round: This is a simple braiding pattern, a little more complex than the square pattern. It's my favorite of the three patterns.
- Flat: This is more complex than the round pattern, it takes a little more work to wrap your brain around, but it's fun and not difficult. It's my second favorite of the three patterns.
Buy the Flat,
kits at: Unicorn Fiber Arts
House Zacharia Home |
Brewing Home |
Questions? Comments? Whatever? Email
If these pages were useful or entertaining
Copyright © by Debbie & Tim Coyle